The Volkswagen Scirocco now has an R version, and it’s one sexy VW with a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder engine, in heavily revised form.
The engine sees a number of changes that include an upgraded block, uprated pistons, conrods and high pressure injectors, plus a bigger turbocharger generating 1.2 bar of boost. The result is 188kW and 350Nm of torque that ensures that the Scirocco R is capable of accelerating to 100km/h in 6.0 seconds (DSG 5.8 seconds), before reaching a maximum speed of 250km/h.
A choice of six-speed manual or DSG gearboxes is available, both directing drive to the front wheels via an XDS-equipped electronically controlled front differential. Fitted as standard, the XDS is an electronic cross-axle traction control system for improved traction and handling.
A set of 345 mm ventilated brake discs sit at the front with 310 mm solid disks at the rear, and new callipers finished in gloss black are fitted along with specially tuned, pneumatically controlled damper units. Unique to the new R models are a set of five-spoke 19-inch ‘Talladega’ wheels with 235/35 tyres. Finally an all-new exhaust system exiting via tailpipes spaced at each side of the rear bumper is fitted.
In front, the Scirocco R has a McPherson strut type suspension for precise tracking and balanced comfort properties. In the rear, it uses the multi-link suspension system. For added sporty and dynamic drive, customers can order Scirocco R with an optional Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) system – where the suspension’s damping characteristics be controlled at the touch of a button and the electro-mechanical power steering and accelerator response are also modified at the same time.
The front and rear bumpers are bespoke items, designed by Volkswagen R GmbH, and the nose is dominated by a trio of deep front airdams joined by a set of LED daytime running lights. The grille section, finished in gloss black, features a discreet ‘R’ badge and sits in between a set of standard Bi- Xenon headlight units. At the rear, a new bumper featuring a diffuser is framed by the new chrome-tipped exhausts and a set of smoked rear light lenses sit below a larger rear wing to lend the Scirocco R greater presence.
Inside the Scirocco R are sports leather seats, a new set of dials (featuring electric blue ‘R’), and a flat-bottomed steering wheel with contrasting gloss black inserts and fingertip controls. The highlights inside are high-gloss black inserts contrasting against turned aluminium trim, which extends to a set of ‘R’ kick plates found in the door frame.
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)
- ESP (Electronic Stabilisation Programme), including EDL (Electronic Differential Lock), ASR (traction control) and XDS electronically controlled differential
- Driver and front passenger airbags with passenger’s airbag deactivation switch
- Curtain airbag system, including front side airbags
- Driver and front passenger’s whiplash-optimised head restraints
- Three-point seatbelts and integrated headrests for both rear passengers
- Isofix child seat preparation for rear seats
- Unique ‘R’ styling extending to new front and rear bumpers, sill extensions, grille, wing mirrors, rear lights, rear wing and exhaust system
- LED daytime running lights set into front bumper
- Bi-Xenon headlights including static curve lighting
- LED Taillights, dark red sports design
- Climatronic 2-zone air conditioner
- 50:50 split fold rear seat backs
- Front centre armrest with storage compartment and cup holders
- Rain sensor and automatic dimming interior rear-view mirror
- Dusk sensor with automatic driving lights
- Park Distance Control
- Automatic coming home lighting function
- Electrically heated and adjustable door mirrors
- Front electric windows
- Passenger side mirror with kerb view
- Space saver spare wheel
- ‘R’ design leather-trimmed three-spoke steering wheel with gloss black trim
- ‘R’ design white backlit dials with contrasting blue needles
- ‘R’ design sports leather seats
- Gloss black dashboard highlights with turned aluminium trim
- RCD 310Radio/CD MP3 with eight speakers and AUX-in socket for connection to external multimedia source
- 12V socket in luggage compartment
- Body-coloured bumpers and door handles
- ‘R’ rear roof spoiler
- 19 inch Talladega Alloy wheels with 235/35 R19 tyres
- Tyre Pressure Monitor
Retail Prices (VAT and Emissions Tax included)
- 2.0 TSI (188 kW) Manual – R403, 355.00
- 2.0 TSI (188 kW) DSG – R417, 855.00
The Scirocco R comes standard with a 5 year/90 000km Service Plan, 3 year/120 000km warranty and a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty. Service Interval is 15 000km.